Monday, January 4, 2010

(1.40) Why do I write these articles?

Why do I write these articles?
(This is a rhetorical question.)

I realized that sometimes, perhaps much of the time, I write these articles so that I can feel accomplished.

I like accomplishing things because after I've done something, I feel a momentary hit of "I matter," that my time has been productive, and therefore that I exist.

Perhaps I write these articles for The 77% Weekly so that you can read them, think about them, and think about me, thereby giving me a greater sense of importance, existence.

Honestly, the more that I can get you to think about me, the more of you out there thinking about me, the more I can feel reflected in this world. And the more I feel reflected, the more I feel like I am important and exist.

It is a great worry of mine that if I am not reflected, that I might not exist, be important, matter.

(Oh, this Friday marks my 40th birthday, which might account for this über-meta-reflection.)

I'm certain you are similar... you probably like to be noticed, thought fondly of, and/or do things so that you feel you matter.

Please e-mail me back and tell me that I matter.

Or, better yet, don’t.

With love,

Rabbi Brian