Sunday, December 9, 2012

Hummingbirds & Questions.

Once, as I watched two hummingbirds, I found myself overwhelmed by a series of questions.
· Were they flitting in and out of the flowers to pollinate them?
· Were they trying to nourish themselves with nectar?
· Were they there so I would remember to marvel at the world?
· Why where they there?
While I was in rabbinical school, I had weekly spiritual direction meetings with a wise woman who wrote the book on spiritual direction. (Actually, she’s written a number of different books about spiritual direction.) One day, she told me something that changed everything and nothing at the same time—it was a statement that has stayed with me ever since:
The answer received depends on the question asked.
How true!
We’ll never know everything. We’ll only get some answers – and only based on the questions we ask.
In the end, I don't know why the hummingbirds were there, probably never will, and I'm okay with that. Can I learn to be as comfortable with all the other unanswered questions in my life?
With wishes for patience for everything unresolved in your heart,
Spiritual-religious advice: Be satisfied that you’ll never have all the answers.