Monday, April 19, 2010

(13/40) A Bigger and Better Newsletter.

A Bigger and Better Newsletter


Some of you have been receiving my spiritual-religious emails for almost five years. Others of you have more recently subscribed to The 77% Weekly.


Those of you who are long-time subscribers may remember my first emails being somewhat random – they arrived on days other than Monday mornings, they lacked coordinating graphics, and their spelling wasn’t always perfect.


Regardless, the newsletter has improved as it’s grown over the years. I hired an editor as well as someone to format the articles before posting.


This Religion-Outside-The-Box “micro-history” can be applied to religious and non-religious organizations alike. Let me explain.


Most religious leaders launch their organizations out of a burning desire to connect with what’s holy or ineffable – something wonderful and intangible. Many want to share what they’ve discovered with others. As more people join in and participate in this sharing, the religious (or other) organization has to become more structured — and, consequently, can lose sight of its initial purpose.


Since I began this organization, I have tried to retain sight of my original goal – to empower people to find and be with (the) God (of their understanding).


However, I do feel a lot more pressure now than I used to. With a larger audience, I realize my articles need to have fewer typos and spelling errors. They need to be much more “on the mark” and meaningful.


I bet it’s the same with you.


When you first try to do something and succeed at it, you’re just excited about the fact that you actually did it. For a while, you continue doing it, but apply a bit more pressure to yourself, believing it has to be done “better” than the last time. You consistently raise the bar up and up and up.


That’s life.


It takes effort to be satisfied with how things are, and not to push yourself to do or have more. That was the initial reason behind the title of this newsletter – 77% Weekly. It’s to remind you (and me) that we don’t need to achieve 100%, 100% of the time.


77%, 77% of the time is just fine.


This week’s spiritual-religious advice: take it easy.


With love,


-Rabbi Brian