Wednesday, February 28, 2007

(07/40) Prayers to know


The last issue of The 77% Weekly was about how to pray and in that I was encouraging people to say their own prayers.

This week, it's a bit different. I've decided to share a few 'standard' prayers that I think everyone should know.

I know you'll enjoy them.

With love,

Rabbi Brian


Tayfur Abu Yazid Al-Bistami:
For years, I would say, ‘Do this’ and ‘Give me that.’ When I reached the shores of wisdom, Isaid, ‘God, be mine and do what You want.’



The prayer of St. Francis:
Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O, Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.



The Serenity Prayer:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. The courage to change the things I can. And, the wisdom to know the difference.


Plato's Prayer in Phaedrus:
Phaedrus: But let us go, now that it has become less oppressively hot.
Socrates: Shouldn't we first offer a prayer?
Phaedrus: Of course.
Socrates: Dear Pan, and all you other gods who live here, grant that I may become beautiful within, and that whatever outward things I have may be in harmony with the spirit inside me. May I understand that it is only the wise who are rich, and may I have only as much money as a temperate person needs. — Is there anything else that we can ask for, Phaedrus? For me, that prayer is enough.
Phaedrus: Make it a prayer for me too, since friends have all things in common.
Socrates: Let's be going.



Psalm 136:
Praise God, for it is good.



And, if you care to, click here to see comments on the streetprophets site where this article also went up this week.