Wednesday, November 8, 2006

35. Sushi & Love

There was a time in my life when I was much more obsessed with the “right” way to do things.

For instance, if I were sitting across from you and we were eating sushi, I might have demonstrated the proper way to hold your chopsticks. Or I would have explained that the soy sauce and wasabi mustard are supposed to be applied to the fish, not the rice and then told you how one is supposed to put fish side on the tongue first.

I used to feel compelled to share such knowledge when I had it.

But, since then, I have grown and matured.

I have learned that unless you care about the proper way for sushi to be eaten, unless you specifically ask me, unless you let it be known that you are the type of person whose dining experience would be enhanced by an etiquette and history lesson — that I would be speaking only to show off my own knowledge and importance.

There is no better way to eat sushi than the way that works for you.

These days all I want to tell you as you sit across from me is that I love you.

With love,


And, if you care to, click here to see comments on the streetprophets site where the article also went up this week.