
I touched on something in my last post (Don't Do: A Sermonette on Sabbathing) that I wanted to expand upon. It’s something I do every week as part of my sabbathing.
In Jewish tradition the Sabbath is said to be like a queen who needs to be welcomed. That's why many people set a special, festive table on Friday nights — so that the visiting royalty might stop and linger.
My own thought process is very similar: I believe that I won’t just happen upon rest, relaxation, or surrender over the course of my weekend. I need to specially prepare myself to achieve those goals.
Consequently, every Friday night I ask myself, "What do I want this weekend?"
I imagine a giant, mystical apothecary with towers of chests and cabinets containing bottles and vials filled with virtues like courage and compassion. Characteristics like surrender and peace are also available, if needed. I wonder, "If I could go to this magical store and get anything I desired, what would I want?"
Acknowledging whatever it is I am currently in need of usually helps me acquire it over the course of the weekend.
Think about this for yourself.
If you knew that you could obtain anything you were lacking, what would you want?
- Joy
- Love
- Patience
- Rest
- Surrender
Ask, and you just might receive it . . .
With love,
Rabbi Brian

